Friday, February 17, 2012

An Unexpected Trip

Last Monday, my best friend, Drew called to let me know that her Gran had a stroke.  She was, of course, devastated.  Drew and Gran were very close. I do believe that Drew got a lot of her humor from Gran.  The next couple of days were up in the air.  She got better, and there was home. Then, suddenly, she took a turn for the worse.  There was no question in my mind of whether or not I would go home.  Harrison and I got all packed, and we were ready to leave Friday morning.  When I got up Friday morning, I had a text from Matt (Drew's husband) saying that Gran had passed away. I knew that Drew would be very upset, so I decided that I would call her on my way.
Harrison did very well on the trip. I think everyone was very nervous since it was just the two of us.  He would sleep, wake up and eat, play then go back to sleep.  It rained the ENTIRE way!! It didn't stop until later on that night after we had been at Mom's for a while.  H got a little fussy about Mobile, but the trip had taken a lot longer than usual due to the torrential downpour the whole way.
Saturday, I went up to Excel to spend some time with Drew, and Harrison stayed with Mom. He even went and watched Aunt Jesie cheer at a basketball game.  From what I hear, he was quite the ladies man with all the cheerleaders.  Saturday night, Katie brought Taryn over to spend the night.  H and T are so funny together.  She is moving around quite a bit, and Harrison is still working on it.  They would give each other kisses.  I think Taryn really liked kissing Harrison's head.  It was so cute!!!
Sunday was the visitation and the funeral.  I took H with me that morning because I got a lot of questions as to where he was the first day I was there.  Of course, he went straight to Brantley.  He loves her! We headed over to the church and ate with Drew's family.  Mom, Katie and Taryn came a little later. They stayed and visited then took Harrison with them so I could stay for the funeral.
Monday, we went and ate breakfast with Nanny and Paw-paw.  Then, we went to visit Me-me.
All weekend, we got a lot of compliments on how happy Harrison was the whole time! He also tried some  new foods while we were there.  He loves collards!!! I know, I was shocked as well.  He likes grits, Ritz crackers and mashed potatoes.  I said it before, but I don't think we are gonna have a picky eater.
I wish we could have seen everybody, but our trip was so unexpected and short, that we just didn't have the time.  Here are a few pics from the trip.
Playing at Aunt KK's!

This picture cracks me up!!

My sweet niece crawling under Gigi's coffee table.

Harrison and Aunt Jesie hanging out.

Harrison eating some grits.

Like I said, Taryn is going everywhere. H was sitting there and she just started crawling on the toy.
I'm glad we got to go home, but it was honestly one of the toughest things to do.  It was so hard to see Drew so upset.  Gran was such a special woman. She was always full of life.  She had a joke for everything. I am so lucky that I even knew her.  Over the years, we visited Gran a lot while I was with Drew.  She always treated me like one of her grandkids, and when Jeff came into my life, she treated him the same way.  We are so sad to see her go, but so happy that she is in a better place looking over all of her "kids."

No comments:

Post a Comment